Friday, April 25, 2008

April 25, 2008

This blog is intened to be a journal of all the wonderful things Kyrah is doing. I figure it I am more likely to do it at work when I have a few minutes then at home when I just spend my time playing with her.
Today she is dressed in her Cardinals outfit which will make Daddy very happy. She is 5 months and 2 weeks old. I have started this late so I will spend a little time catching up all the amazing things she has accomplished so far.
Kyrah was born on Nov. 12, 2007 - a Monday. We went into the hospital Sunday evening after I spent the day debating if my water had broke or not. A quick little test in the hospital determined - yep I was in labor. The monitor indicated I was having contractions but I couldn't feel anything. Also, one point I now know is to eat before you go to the hospital because once you are there and are in labor you cannot have any food. Needless to say by the time you came Monday at 4 (about 24 hours later) I was starving. Dennis and I spent Sunday night in the hospital walking aournd the halls -this was supposed to activate labor and hopefully speed things along. Well not in our case. Finally at some time in the middle of the night the nurse has spoken to Dr. Cernik and she suggested getting a small drip of medicine to help the contractions along. Once that was set up, I finally fell asleep. The nurse woke me up every couple of hours to check me out and increase the medicine. Around 6 am I called Grandma to tell her nothing was happening yet - everyone was expecting a baby that night, but turns out they had to wait a little longer. We spent the morning doing much of the same - waiting. I couldn't walk around anymore because I had the IV in my arm, but I sat on a exercise ball because I was having a lot of back pain. The nurse said it was likely the baby was sitting in my pelvis funny and causing the pain, which using the exercise ball helped. Then around noon, the doctor wanted to speed things along since my water had been leaking for so long, she didn't want the baby to be in distress so she increased the medicine and also put an internal monitoring device in me that reached to the baby's head - not a fun experience at all!
Well not long after that - things really started to happen. The contractions were awful so I asked for an epidural. I had tried the less evasive medicine but that didn't do anything. The doctor's had a tough time getting the epidural in - and had to stick me in the back 3 times before they got it right. But, they eventually got the needle in and then the medicine started flowing to numb me from the waist down - wow what a difference that made. It was amazing - I didn't feel anything, but the contractions were still coming. I was still only 3-4 centimeters dialated at that point. Dennis was finishin up some school stuff and I told him to take the stuff up to school and hurry back because the nurse said it would be another 4-5 hours yet. I was going to take a nap. He left and went to school which is about a 5 minute drive away. The nurse came in and did another check then was helping me roll over to take a nap when all of a sudden alarms were going off and the nurse was looking a bit concerned. She did another check and had the other assistant call the doctor. All she said to the doctor was "I think we need you up here." I asked her if I should call Dennis and she said yes. Now to me nothing was different because I could not feel anything. So I call Dennis and tell him it is happening and he needs to get back immediately. At that point the doctor comes in and about 4 or 5 other people come in and set things up. Dennis calls me back while he is driving back to the hospital and he asks if he is going to miss it and he just hears the doctor say "you need to get here now". So he speeds through town. In the mean time, the doctor and nurses are setting things up for me and adjusting the bed. My legs are up in stirups as Dennis walks in the door, the doctor tells him to grab a leg and then tells me to start pushing. I think Dennis was a little freaked out about that - which he should have been!
So the pushing and labor last about 45 minutes and out you come. The doctor says "its a girl" and I ask - are you sure. I was so excited that you were a girl. That was the happiest moment ever. You were perfect. 6 lbs 15 ozs 19 3/4 inches longborn at 4:12 pm. You were all red and bluish when you came out and kind of slimy - they layed you on my belly and you were crying for the first time in your life. After that the nurses took you and cleaned you up and checked you over, while the doctor was finishing up with me. Dennis went over to you and held your hands while they were working on you and you wouldn't let go. Come to find out now - you still like to hold people's hands.

No comments: