Friday, April 3, 2009

Doctor Visit Update

Broden and Raya went in for a weight check up today 4-3-09. Raya weighs 7 lbs 10 ozs and is 20 1/4 inches long. She has gained 1.5 lbs in 2 weeks - wow what a little grower she is. She is eating 4 ozs of formula at each feeding and the doctor said that is probably more then she should be but if she is content to stick with it. She eats every 4 hours or so. I think she eats so much because of her stay at Cardinal Glennon. They made her eat a certain amount when she was there and if she didn't eat it they gave it to her in her NG tube (basically put it directly in her tummy) so my theory is that her tummy expanded then to hold more food. Everytime we asked if this was necessary to make her eat a certain amount the response we got was "if she doesn't eat she doesn't grow". She is in the 25% for height and weight. She is a wonderful baby - always very content sleeps well -sometimes at night she will sleep for 5 hours, doesn't have to be held, but likes it when she is... just overall she has been wonderful.
Broden came in at 5 lbs 12 ozs (woo hoo!) and 19 inches long. So he has done well since his birth gaining a pound and a half. He is still pretty skinny if you look at him, but he is losing that alien - bug look - you know little head big eyes. Don't get me wrong - he is completely adorable, but he does have a bit of a alien look going on - a little more chub and it will go away. He is out of preemie clothes because they are too short for him. He is skinny enough to still wear preemie, but he can't stretch out in them. He is eating 2-3 ozs every 3 hours, but he is having some issues with spitting up and not being content inbetween meals. He may sleep for an hour then wake up with a 30 second cry then go back to sleep and he seems to scrunch up like his belly hurts so we are going to try him on soy formula. I tried gas drops for a week but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am not thrilled that they may be on different formula but I hate that his tummy is upset. He is not even in the 5th percentile for height and weight, but he is growing and gaining at a good pace which is what matters.
Today we had our second official outing - we went shopping. It was Grandma, my sister Tina and me and the twins. They did great - slept a lot didn't fuse about being in the car seats - good little shoppers! I just get side tracked a lot because people stop me and ask about them which is fine.
Kyrah is doing well, she is adjusting to having the twins around. At first she had to be next to them and kept touching them, now she will ignore them unless me or Dennis is holding them, then once she touches them or puts a "blanket" on them a few times she will wonder off to do something else. Bed time is still the hardest part because she likes to be held (and I love holding her) before she goes to bed, but if one of the twins needs to eat... well the baby wins and Kyrah has to either sit next to me or lay on the floor on a pillow - usually with a bit of crying. We have been practicing her egg finding skills. She likes to open the fake eggs and see if anything is inside - she will be all ready by the time Easter arrives.
I have been doing very well. Yes I have to pop two Tylenol each day to ward off the headache from not sleeping enough and live on diet dr. pepper, but overall I am doing great. My incision is healing great and I even went for a jog today. My first time running in probably two years. I am hoping to get back to running my 5Ks this summer.

No comments: